As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

What's Up Doc!... Tuesday, October 17

I guess to say I had my first doctor visit here in the Philippines isn't quite correct.  About eight years ago when Snickers had a fight in the Philippines we had to go to the doctors.  He was head-butted a few times during his fight and had to get stitches.  I remember him laying down on the hospital bed and nothing but maybe my back and the back of one of the nurses giving him any kind of privacy as he got stitched up with other patients standing around.  The same pretty much went down today.  No stitches but no privacy either.  

I entered the doctor's waiting room and there a nurse drew blood from me for testing, the receptionist took my blood pressure and then I was given a container to pee in.  In the bathroom there was no toilet paper and the faucet seemed to be hooked up to some kind of shower hose that I couldn't quite figure out so I dunked my hand and the pee-filled container in a bucket of water that sat on the floor.  I knew enough to know that bucket of water and the small scoop inside it were for washing yourself so it was clean.  

My apologies to the next person that uses that water.

I must have waited an hour before I was then escorted into my doctor's actual office, a small corner room that felt no bigger than my bathroom back at the condo.  He greeted me with a huge smile and quite the excited and loud response.  I laughed and shut the door so we could talk.

Doctor's orders, no training for another 3-5 days, I have to finish my meds and hydrate myself.  TMI but my pee is a super dark golden colour.  I'm not taking in much food so my body is definitely lacking in nutrients and electrolytes.  Not good but I'm getting better.  I'm on doctor's orders to officially relax, a luxury to some but quite the frustrated struggle for someone like me.

The struggle is going to be real.

No comments: