As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, November 20, 2017

A New Four-Legged Friend... Monday, November 20

Today definitely didn't go the way I had planned.  

My life has definitely not gone the way I planned but that's a good thing.  That's a crazy cool thing.

As for today though, it going totally off track, it was a bit frustrating.  

I was suppose to have sparring this morning and I showed up with all my gear, ready for it, but I just was in this weird funk.  I couldn't pin-point it but I knew it had to do with a multitude of things.  My text message conversation with Skittles last night definitely was at the top of the things on my mind hindering my focus.  I just wanted to spar today, physically I was totally ready but mentally my head was definitely not there.  So I sat ringside and chatted with one of the coaches.    

I ended up just training on my own.  I took my frustrations out on the heavy bag.

I was feeling kind of defeated when I left boxing but as I exited the building a little cry caught my attention.  I looked down and standing right in front of me was the skinniest little kitten I've ever seen.  It was a street cat -- SHE was a street cat.  Super skinny but super friendly.  I put my boxing gear down on the ground and sat on the street so I could pet her.  She jumped up on my lap.  

Where was her mom?!

I knew the moment I sat down on that step I was in trouble.  For the next ten minutes I struggled with getting up to leave.  I didn't want her to follow me home but I didn't want to go home and just leave her crying and hungry.  I ended up running home, dropping off my gear and grabbing some leftovers from my fridge.  I only have one meal left over from my Yummy Diet delivery when I was sick so I grabbed that and returned where I found her still crying and of course still hungry.  

Popped off the lid and sat the container of food for this little four-legged girl to eat. 

She was skin and bones and sporting maybe one third of a tail but she purred so much while she ate and her tail wagged like a dog every time I touched her.

For the next twenty minutes I sat there watching her eat.  

I didn't want to take her home but I had told myself that if she followed me home I'd let her.

She never followed me.  Instead she flopped down on the ground and rolled around, like a happy dog wanting you to pet it's tummy.  

No comments: