As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Always Intense...Wednesday, November 1

Coach Bogs was away today because he had family responsibilities related to the holiday so I thought I'd just train by myself,... or that was the plan.  

No suck luck.

I did my boxing... my shadow boxing, heavy bag work, speed bag,... the whole nine yards, and then I went to go do some functional weight training.  That's when Coach Jun Mar approached me.  His smile at me signaled that something was up.  Last night he smiled at me like such and he ended up making me do brutal walking lunges with snatches, laps of frog jumps and a couple of laps of what I can only describe as "duck walks".  

Surprisingly enough, I WAS able to walk today.

Not sure if I'll be able to use my arms though tomorrow.  I totally will blame Coach Jun Mar for that too because again, like yesterday, he approached me with a few "fun" exercises he thought I should try.  I laughed and told a fellow fighter that my pain is Coach Jun Mar's pleasure but as funny as it sounded I don't think it's so far fetched.  

I do like when the coaches give me exercises to work on, I really appreciate the extra exercises that I wouldn't normally pick to do but are definitely beneficial to my sport, to my boxing.  One of the exercises Coach Jun Mar had me do was hold these two 6lbs weights, one in each hand, stand in starting stance and then snap out a jab and then a straight cross jab.  The focus was on snapping it forward fast, building up that explosive power, and then snapping it back.  I did that for a full 3 minute round and then he had me do a similar exercise for upper cuts.  Six pounds is relatively light but with the exercise I was doing, the nonstop action of it and the time I was told to keep up with it, it definitely made that small 6lbs weight feel so much heavier.  

Last night Coach Jun Mar had me do roll-outs, an ab exercise that is intense but one that I've worked up enough strength in my core to be able to do 3 sets of 20 reps.  However, last night, he had me try doing roll-outs but in a standing position.  Usually roll-outs are done with your knees on the floor but tonight we did them starting from a standing position.  Worst case scenerio, at least in my head, was I'd fall five feet on my face in front of everyone.  On the first attempt, my knees hit the floor on the way down but I was able to recover.  In total, I only did 4 reps but it was rough.  I definitely felt them today when I went to finish my workout with abs... ouch!!!

No comments: