As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

And He's Off... Sunday, November 12

Skittles went to Canada today.  

As he got into his Uber and drove away, I giggled and blurted out "freedom is mine!"  It was a joke.  Freedom isn't mine now, I felt more free when he was here.  I say that because he's my biggest business mentor and biggest supporter.  Now who do I have to bounce ideas around at two in the morning?  Balboa?!

It's with pride I saw him off but it's with envy I saw him go alone.  

He'll be arriving in Toronto after a long eight month struggle of making his dream a reality.  Back in Toronto we had countless late nights at Snakes & Lattes, going over rough draft plans and proposal writing, so his story started long before he actually even arrived here.  He told me it all started back in September, not this past one but the one before, September 2016.  

My story of launching my business here in the Philippines started only 5 months ago, roughly, but it's hard not to compare mine with his.  I know he's totally deserving of all the success he's got and will continue to get but I found myself particularly envious of him today when I saw him drive away in that Uber.  He'll be arriving in Toronto to family and friends all eager to hear about how he launched his business, how it's taken this amazing physical form and employs something like 8 workers, is tied to over a dozen or so investors, and has a multitude of other businesses and business associates all woven into it.  His business is going to go international and that's not even a thought at the back of his mind but an issue of current discussion with his corporation he's created.  He took this idea in his head and passion in his heart and made it a reality.  I feel like mine is still very much still in me; it hasn't taken a physical form yet.  I'm consumed with thoughts of it every day and I stay up late pondering how to push it forward and what more I can do.  

I look forward to that one day when I can get to go visit Toronto and tell everyone I did it, I made my dream a reality, but for now I'm trying to enjoy Skittles having his turn at it.  This is his moment and he's absolutely deserving of it.  I'm so very proud of him... but I want it too.

No comments: