As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, November 16, 2017

From Down to Up... Thursday, November 16

I had woken up to Balboa standing on the top of my chest as he pawed my nose, signally me to get up.  He had to go to the bathroom.  I'm not a morning person but Balboa is.  So I slipped into some jogging pants, put on a baseball cap and threw on a sweater.  

It was the first day back from the three day holiday and though I had hustled both before and during it, I didn't anticipate anything to come of my hustle till maybe next week.  These random chunks of holidays here in the Philippines are killing me -- killing my motivation, killing my drive and killing my patience.  

So I was up early, ready to work but really wracking my brain with what to work on next.  I don't have the luxury of someone telling me what to do.  I have to create my own work, figure out what to do next and answer my own problems, questions and concerns... hence the struggle.  Some days are harder than others.  It's never easy.  The struggle is real and today the struggle was really hard but it was also rewarded all at once.  

Every once in awhile I get discouraged and today I definitely had my moment of pure discouragement.  Skittles reached out to me when he felt it oozing through my text messages to him but I refused to answer the phone.  I didn't want to bask in it but I also just wanted to be left alone.  

Got out of my rut, got cleaned up and then go to my first meeting. 

...then it happened.

All my hustling and trying to push things forward with this and that started to take form.

The Philippines Women's University set a date for Empowered to come do a boot camp.
Coach Kristian has agreed to help me up get a fight.
Business collaboration with Hernandez Boxing was taken to the next step.
Got confirmation from my needed incorporators for my legal corporate papers so I can file them.
A highly sought after real estate broker contacted me to set up locations to see.
Received confirmation that target pads I ordered on on route from Korea.

Finally... it feels like it's a definitely a long awaited finally.  To have all these things come together today was pretty awesome but it was a totally unexpected overdose of great news.  Feels good to finally have some of the struggle dealt with though.  This and that got checked off my list, nice.  On to the next, because you know the work as an entrepreneur never ends.

No comments: