As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Location Hunting Resumes... Tuesday, November 28

Headed out to meet up with the real estate agent to check out three possible locations for Empowered Clubhouse -- 2 were in BGC and 1 was in McKinnley Hill.

I liked the first location.  It was in BGC.  The entrance to the building itself was gorgeous and very clean.  It held such a strong first impression and was so much better than I ever anticipated.  The ceiling in the available space was impressively high.  One major problem though, beyond it costing an arm and a leg that is... and perhaps a kidney and first born child..., they won't allow us to make any kind of loft in it.  This makes it's height a little bit pointless, hard to work with, and it sets up further limitations with our set up.  The space is actually smaller than I want, it's only 140sqm while we're needing something that is around 200sqm, maybe even bigger.  It was nice though.  I was very impressed.

The second location, also in BGC, looked great but the fact that clients would have to check it with the front desk before then heading up to our floor via the elevator is a hassle and a half.  The building is very new, not actually up and running right now, so there are numerous units available.  We headed up to a top floor and the view was spectacular but what's the point of a fabulous view at a gym if it means you have no walls to do ball slams on, wall squats against, or other exercises where a wall is needed.  Throw in the fact that all it'd take is the accidental toss of one kettlebell and BAM, there goes the window and there goes a huge lawsuit waiting to happen.  And don't even get me started on the fact that it means we won't be able to put up any mirrors either.  But you enjoy that view.... next.

The third and last location was also good.  The space itself was bigger than the first but very similar to it.  It was a big empty shell with high ceilings and strong walls that made it sound proof and very usable for exercising.  It however was located in McKinnley Hill, a developing but not developing-as-fast-as-I'd-like area that feels more like a step up from Eastwood, the place I first lived in when I came to the Philippines.  It's a bit out of the way for most people, spaced out, and transportation there is limited to personal cars and a shuttle bus system.  

I was grateful to go see the locations today, it was a great experience and it gave me a lot of food for thought but it also made me reevaluate what specifically I'm looking for.  I'll definitely have to go back and restructure my plans for the club, adjust it accordingly, and sit down with Coach Farah to further this along more.  

I showed up at The Refined after my viewings, to discuss it with him, and I felt so frustrated.  I feel like what I so eagerly want and what I can get are totally two different things.  Maybe I can't have it all.  Maybe I'll have to compromise so much, adjust it so much, and give up so much of what I want Empowered to be, my Second Dream.  It was a harsh thought to wrap my head around and I went home feeling rather defeated and discouraged.

No comments: