As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea on February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, reality TV star, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company (Flipside Fitness), CEO of my own boxing club (Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing), and now I'm launching my 3rd business -- Empowered Clubhouse.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again. This time it was for the Philippines. That's where I am now, living in the land of the happy people. The struggles are real and the struggles are many but I'm living life on my terms, I'm calling the shots, and I'm doing what I love. Life is an amazing adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Bye, Bye 2017... Sunday, December 31

I ended 2017 and started 2018 the way I started life, buck naked.  Leading up to that though, I was fully clothed.  Well, as fully clothed as one would be in the hot Philippines.  And then I left to go celebrate the new year as close to naked as I could socially be.  Everyone dressed up and I dresssed small.  I was going to enter in this new year loud and proud, rocking the very thing for years I was always so self-conscious of wearing -- short shorts!!!

It was a busy last day of 2017 and it started with homemade pancakes and a cappuccino.

It was Holm's vrs Cyborg on the UFC fight card for the day so I headed over to Handle Bar, a bar out of town that I've never been to before.  Our usual UFC-watching bar was closed to the public today as they prepared for tonight's New Year's Eve celebrations, hence the trip out to Handle Bar.  It was a biker bar with a lived-in kind of feeling that I actually quite liked.  

Dinner out consisted of dinner in -- ordered Mantra.  

The plan was to go out to celebrate New Year's Eve but I learned the other day that the Philippines goes big with their New Year's Eve fireworks and, being that I'm in a tall condo, I decided to just stay home and watch it from my window.  So that's exactly what I did.  I saved myself the price of a ticket I can't afford and instead sat in my bedroom and watched it.  I saved money and Balboa didn't have to freak out alone.  He's been spooked of fireworks and any kind of loud sudden noise ever since that night in Cabbagetown.

Around 1:30am, I got dressed and left for The Belle & Dragon where I met with friends.

No comments: