As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, December 24, 2017

I Was Present... Sunday, December 24

I pretty much slept most of the day seeing that the boxing club was closed and I was trying hard to avoid any sign of Christmas so I stayed hibernating in my apartment.  But come 5pm, I had to get up and get ready for tonight's Christmas Eve party with the De Castro family.

I'm not a fan of Christmas but I'm a huge fan of this family; they're awesome.  

I knew full well that I'd be grumbling and complaining about having to go up until I actually arrived and that was exactly what happened.  

Funniest thing at the party, a money gun that shoots money!!! I had discovered the toy gun early in the evening but it wasn't until later that they used it.  Some of the uncles had prepared stacks of paper money in small denominations to put into this money-shooting-gun and then shoot out for all the younger kids to catch.  It was hilarious and the kids absolutely loved it.  I took some funny Instagram Story coverage of it.  Had a good idea pop into my head concerning this toy gun -- put my business cards in it and fire it out into the crowds at Ayala Triangle... hahaha.  Better yet, sell these to some of my buddies in Korea who get paid to fire out business cards in the streets.  It's brilliant. 

Lots of family and lots of food.  Unexpectedly, there were also several gifts for me, something I totally didn't expect but was definitely touched by.  I had shown up with a cake and some bread but went home with a few bags of gifts.  

They call me "Tita Amy"; that means Aunt Amy.... awwww [enter a big smile here].

We played Bingo, ate lots of food, mingled and chatted, and then at midnight we all gave each other kisses on the cheek and wished one another a Merry Christmas.  It was technically Christmas and I wasn't alone nor was I sad and stressed about missing Canada.  I didn't even miss Canada at that moment and instead was totally there.  It was perfect.  


No comments: