As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, December 18, 2017

MonSLAY... Monday, December 18

Today's Schedule:
10:00am     Boxing at Elite
12:30pm     Return from boxing, shower and eat
1:00pm       Leave for The Refined in BGC
3:00pm       Meet with Coach Farah
3:30pm       Location viewing in McKinley for Empowered
5:00pm       Condo viewing in BGC
5:30pm       Quick meeting at Elorde
6:30pm       Empowered business meeting at The Refined 
9:00pm       Business social event at Grind
11:50pm       Arrive back at home, Makati

It was a super busy but a super long and super productive day and it started off with me being sad about moving to BGC.  I showed up at boxing and looked around.  My regular boxing friends who usually train with me at that time weren't there nor was my coach, Coach Bogs, so I trained alone.  

I'm about to go pure old school Rocky style once I move out of Makati if I want to stay at Elite.  Having to run several kilometers for training with potentially my boxing gear on my back is going to be a bit ghetto but man that's going to rip me up real quick not mention up my need for more food.  Food is fuel, right.  

I checked out a potential boxing club to train at, Elorde in BGC, but it's super expensive.  It's much smaller than Elite but so much more expensive.  I'm not interested in changing clubs again, having to get to know members and coaches all over again, and then having to build their interest in getting me a fight.  I know Elite here in Makati can't get me a fight but Kristian of Hernandez Boxing can.  

The plan is to stop my Empowered bootcamps at Ayala Triangle and stick to only coaching the Empowered small group boxing classes on the Tuesday nights in the new year.  I'm hoping to launch a new Empowered bootcamp, possibly a boxing-focused one, but in BGC.  

I ended the day feeling pretty optimistic and eager about my move to BGC but I think I also have the difficulties with getting an Uber out of the city to account for part of that.  For the most part, all my business dealings are done in BGC but I train in Makati.  I'm not yet ready to give up Elite, am hoping I don't have to, so I'm going to see if I can make this all work.  I'm feeling very optimistic about the new year and making a new home here in the Philippines.  It will be the third place I've lived here but then again Eastwood was never intended to be a home, it was just a temporary place to sleep while I here for three months of training.

No comments: