As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea on February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, reality TV star, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company (Flipside Fitness), CEO of my own boxing club (Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing), and now I'm launching my 3rd business -- Empowered Clubhouse.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again. This time it was for the Philippines. That's where I am now, living in the land of the happy people. The struggles are real and the struggles are many but I'm living life on my terms, I'm calling the shots, and I'm doing what I love. Life is an amazing adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Thursday, December 07, 2017

Too Close... Thursday, December 7

Plans for today:
  • Pay the electricity bill across town.
  • Pick up a small birthday gift and deliver it to Elite Boxing.
  • Photoshoot for the new private group boxing class I'm launching.
  • Boxing with Coach Kristian at City Club.
  • Attend the grand opening party for The Refined.

What wasn't in my plans for today was having a near death experience with one overly aggressive K-9 unit dog up but apparently that's what happened.  

Here's what went down...

After heading out to pay the electricity bill for my condo, I went to Tim Horton's Coffee Shop.  Today was Coach Bog's birthday, yesterday was Trainer Alvin's, and I wanted to get them both something small to celebrate their special day.  Coffee and timbits.  I figured it'd be fun to teach them a bit of Canadian culture -- what makes Tim Horton's so Canadian, what is a double-double, what is a timbit, etc.  With the coffee and box of timbits in a bag, I then had to walk it over to the boxing club.  Upon walking there though, I had to pass by the Canadian Embassy and their two K-9 unit dogs out by the street, sniffing the cars for inspection.  We had passed them going to Timmies so I didn't think anything of passing by again as we then headed for the club.


The first dog instantly got so incredibly aggitated at the sight of Balboa.  He jumped up and down, trying to escape the officer's grip but the officer kept on pulling him down and yanking on his leash.  Balboa and I continued pass and then I heard something metal hit the crown, like a bracelet.  It was the metal link that attached that particular dog's collar to its leash.  That dog then made a mad dash for us and as it struggled to get through the metal fence that separated us, I yanked Balboa behind me and got ready to fight it off.  I instantly got ready to kick that dog.  Thankfully it struggling in the fence bought the officer enough time to run and tackle it but then there was the issue of the second K-9 dog.  It too started to get all worked up.  And then I noticed in yanking on Balboa's leash he had come free from his collar.  I noticed this when I looked down and saw Balboa then approach the second dog.  They stood but only a couple of feet from each other.  Balboa free from restraint and totally carefree and those two K-9 dogs all incredibly aggitated and super pissed off.  I then called Balboa over, he came, then I put his collar back on and walked away.  

Trust me, everyone that was in the area stopped and watched as this dramatic scene unfolded.

It was definitely a too close for comfort situation and I felt sick to my stomach over it.

No comments: