As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Trying To Bounce Back... Wednesday, December 27

My days in Makati are numbered.  This time next week I'll be living in The Fort.

I only have one client left with personal training sessions I have to coach.  Tonight I finished up my second last client.  I anticipate tonight's particular client joining my small group boxing classes at Hernandez Boxing in Alphaland City Club.  I'm excited for that because she's really doing well with her boxing and it's been cool to see her development.

Tonight I was productive, I coached and then worked on Empowered.

Leading up to tonight, totally unproductive.

Without going into detail, on Sunday I got into a huge argument with a close family member that left me in tears and it's been weighing on me all this week.  The argument never concluded.  I hung up the phone on them.  Enough was enough.  Today it hit me what went down and I laid on the couch wondering what the hell to do next.  I don't want to call them.  Maybe I should email them but what do I even say?!

He doesn't understand why I'm living in the Philippines, doesn't understand why I don't want to work things out with Snickers, and doesn't understand why I don't want to live closer to family.  My answers are easy.  I'm living in the Philippines because I'm building my dream, this is where I feel I have a place, a purpose.  I don't want to work things out with Snickers because that relationship had become so toxic and I feared for my life.  And as for family, I lived in Canada for about two and a half years but saw very little of my family.  My cousins are all married now with kids so they're off living lives with them which is totally understandable and most of my aunts and uncles are now busy with grandkids and retirement.  As for my immediate family, my youngest brother lives in the States, my other brother lives in the middle of no where that makes it impossible for me to travel to because I'm a public transit kind of girl, plus he's busy with his family.  He has three young daughters.  And my father, he's retired but he almost always refuses to drive out to Toronto to see me because he hates driving in the city and me traveling out to see him requires at least an hour and a half because I have to take the subway, the GO Train, and then get picked up at the station.  

I've never been a disappointment to this family member, I've always been his pride and joy, but on Sunday I felt nothing except a disappointment and I've been choking on that feeling ever since.

Skittles suspected something was up with me when I hadn't posted anything on Facebook and hadn't even left the house to go boxing.  At 3pm he showed up at my condo to cheer me up.  He's pretty awesome like that.

No comments: