As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea on February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, reality TV star, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company (Flipside Fitness), CEO of my own boxing club (Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing), and now I'm launching my 3rd business -- Empowered Clubhouse.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again. This time it was for the Philippines. That's where I am now, living in the land of the happy people. The struggles are real and the struggles are many but I'm living life on my terms, I'm calling the shots, and I'm doing what I love. Life is an amazing adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Monday, January 08, 2018

First Sparring of 2018... Monday, January 8

Fifty days ago, that's the last time I sparred.  In between then and today, we've had Christmas holidays, New Year's, and Charlie (my aeombia) stir up again.  Fifty days of no sparring meant today's sparring was going to be extra rough, especially considering I'm use to sparring every single week.

Last time we sparred, November 22nd, we went eight straight rounds.  Today we did only 6.  Six rounds but with a minor break in between the third and fourth round.  

In the first round I scored a fat lip and during the fifth round I took a brutal body shot that sent me to the ring mat.  I got up, shook it off and then went for another round.  My sore left toe that I'm convinced the nail is going to fall off or it's bruised because of my running, got stepped on twice during sparring so that felt "so good".  I threw two low blows to Coach Bogs and he retaliated with even lower than low blows; he hit my thighs.  All low blows, at least on my part, were totally unintentional but I think perhaps one of his two weren't.  I took it like a champ though but it was like a Charlie horse in my leg, the leg went numb for a bit.  The fifth round was a rough one.  We were both exhausted and had gone all in when suddenly I took Coach Bog's nose to my head.  We were clinched and I was going for some tight body shots on him when I then head butted him by accident.  He sat ringside after our sparring, rubbing his nose and me rubbing my head.  It's going to hurt for the next day or so, for sure.

Note to self, don't run to the boxing club on days I spar.  I felt the sun, the heat and the added weight of sparring gear on my back all contributed to breaking down my energy and using it up before my actual sparring session.  Next time, I'll simply walk, not run, or take an Uber.

Sparring was good but it could have been better.  My legs just wouldn't move fast and my feet were so heavy.  I blame the excessive time between today's sparring and last time plus the fact that I ran here today.  We only went for 6 rounds instead of 8 so that was a bit disappointed but I knew I couldn't totally exhaust myself because I still had to jog back home with all my gear.

The struggle is real but I'm kind of a glutton for punishment in that I like the challenge.

No comments: