As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Headed in For a Chop... Thursday, January 19

Image may be nothing but image is big when you're looking for investors and sponsors for your company, as is the case of where I am right now.  I have a growing list already but I want more because when it comes down to putting their names in ink and getting them to legally sign, that list is going to drop down and only those seriously committed and interested with remain.

Building my brand, not only as a fighter but as a coach and as a business owner, image is big.  

Image is the first thing people see when they meet you.  You can never have a second impression, an impression to erase and cancel out the first impression.  With me, my image has to be memorable.  I want people to look at me and question what it is I do.  In Korea that was pretty easy.  With my half shaved head and tattoos I didn't look like the typical ESL teacher that a vast majority of the foreigners are.  I stood out.  Here in the Philippines though, it's different.  Many people have tattoos and though I haven't seen many girls with half shaved heads, my blonde hair seems to be what makes me stand out moreso than my half shaved head.  Maintaining it, now that's another story.  

I've been itching to chop my hair for awhile now but I was told not to because I'd look more like a UFC fighter than a boxer.  I personally don't think I have a feminine enough face to pull off such a dramatic look and feel like most who have gone for the full shaved head tend to over exaggerate their facial features with makeup and/or jewelry.  I don't do lots of makeup and I wear the same jewelry day in and day out -- my mom's Korean necklace and my small earrings that spell love.  

Shaving my head was out of the question so I chopped it.  Chopped off 4 inches and I love it.

Chopping my hair is like getting a tattoo to me, it's additive but oh so liberating!!!

No comments: