As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Last Night in Makati... Wednesday, January 3

It was my last night in Makati, tomorrow I’ll be a resident of The Fort BGC, so I decided to take the night off training, off Empowered, and off all other work and just enjoy Makati one last time.  

Top 5 places I love in Makati
  1. Ayala Triangle Gardens
  2. Elite Boxing Club
  3. Salon de Ning in The Peninsula Hotel
  4. Wild Flour
  5. Belle & Dragon

It was off to Wild Flour for me.  I couldn’t remember the last time I’ve actually been out in the evening like this.  I’m usually racing off to training or doing something for Empowered.  And with all my gear and belongings either half at the new condo or packed away in bags and boxes at my current condo, it’s not like I could really do anything besides relax.

A table for two, two cappuccinos, and a piece of the largest carrot cake known to man between us.

It was nice to just sit there, us two entrepreneurs, Skittles and I.  We laughed and I noted that “this must be what normal people do” and by that we meant basically sit down and enjoy the evening.  Both him and I usually super busy, always hustling, always working.  People don’t even know.  He puts in 8-10 hour days at his salon but before work and after work there’s always, you guessed it, more work.  There’s so much work behind the scenes.  I’m still very much working on overtime behind the scenes.  I make very little pay and whatever extra money I get from my coaching I usually put it back into my coaching, use it to pay for my training, or it goes towards food.

True fact, I came to the Philippines with only $180CDN in my bank account and at the start of December, not even a month ago, I was walking around with only $1.39Cdn in my bank. $1.39, that’s 55.6 Filipino pesos.  That’s barely enough to even buy a full meal from one of those side street food carts.  Meals there are super cheap but usually go for 60Php. 

They say God doesn’t give you a dream that matches fits your budget.  He’s not testing your bank account, he’s testing your faith.


The struggle is real, the hustle is daily but tonight it was put on hold while we ate carrot cake.

No comments: