As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Needing to Change... Sunday, January 14

Something has to give.

Run to boxing, box, weight train, then run home... it takes any where from 3-4 hours of my day, 6 days a week.  Then factor in the fact that once I return from boxing I then have to empty out my bag, throw stuff in the laundry, possibly do a load, then shower, and eat.  There's another hour.  So now you're up to 4-5 hours.

I wake up at 8am each day, then leave my house around 10am for boxing.  I don't get back till about 1pm or 2pm but am not really done with my boxing stuff -- showering, etc -- till about 3pm or 4pm.  That's a huge chunk of my day, wow.  

My membership for Elite, where I'm currently training, is up for renewal this week, on the 16th, but I'm debating whether or not I want to renew it.  I love sparring with Coach Bogs, I'm close with coaches, very familiar with many of their fighters, and the energy of the club is great but it's brutal trying to not kill my energy every day via the run it takes just to get there.  I'm still left with energy to get through my boxing but I don't want to just "get through" it.  I'm there to box, not to run.  

I'm really trying to get a fight here in the Philippines.

I've been offered one in both Mexico and Korea but have since declined because they do nothing to further my branding of a boxer and business owner here in the Philippines.  I want to make a fan base here, not elsewhere.  I'm starting to reconsider taking a fight in Korea but have since been in contact with a Filipino boxing official and just recently have been introduced to a matchmaker here in the Philippines.  The next plan is to look into changing my Korean boxing license to that of a Filipino one and schedule a fight.  The matchmaker says he already has a possible opponent in mind.  Wicked.

No comments: