As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, January 01, 2018

Resolutions for 2018... Monday, January 1

It's 2018, time to women-up and make some real goals ladies, some S.M.A.R.T goals... 

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Relevant
Time-bound

When it comes to people making New Year's resolutions, so many really don't know how to make them. I can't help but roll my eyes and do a face palm when I read goals like "be kind". It's as if being mean was their other option or being kind was some kind of challenge. If it is, if it's a challenge, I really don't think you should advertise that then. And then there are those that make such broad goals like "eat healthier". This is such a common error, I use to be so guilty of it too.

"Eat healthier", what does that even mean? And how do you know if you've achieved it?! 

My advice, make a goal that includes a number or a definite yes, I did it, or no, I didn't do it. For example, that vague goal, "eat healthier", you could change it to "bulk cook your work lunches" or "eat two servings of veggies a day". The bulk cook goal is easy to see if you were successful or not because you either did it or you didn't. And as for the veggies goal, the goal number is two so that's easy to figure out too. Did you eat two servings?! 

I'm huge into goal setting, I sit down every Sunday and write out 10 goals for the next week ahead, so I love, love, LOVE writing New Year's resolutions. They keep me in check during the year, give me a solid challenge for me to conquer, and it makes for a great reflection at the end of the year. This time next year I'll be looking back at the ones I'm writing for this year, for 2018, and I'm curious as to how many I'll check off, which ones I struggled with, and all the experiences that came with trying to check them off my list. I love a good challenge.

Today I sat down in The Fort and wrote out my New Year's resolutions for 2018.  I already have a lot of expectations for this year, as I do with every single year, but this year especially.  I didn't accomplish any of my resolutions for 2017 on account that on a whim I got up and moved to the Philippines.  The Philippines was never in the picture and now it's my life, it's my home.  My plan last January was to make roots in Canada after 11.5yrs of life in Korea.  I was to situate myself in Toronto and build my female-only clubhouse there.  But, obviously, things changed and I realized that life for me is better in Asia.  I just never fully returned to Canada so I never did feel at home.  I feel more at home here in the Philippines than I did the past two and a half years in Canada and friends that know me well know this to be true.  

As for my resolutions for this year, for 2018, they're biggies, but only 2 of them are non-business related.

#6:  Start and finish a Tagalog language book.
#9:  Go to Korea to get my stuff, thank sponsors, see my dogs, and say bye to my Hulkies.

This year is going to be my year, the Year of the Empowered is what I'm calling it.

No comments: