As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, February 24, 2018

Boxing and Books... Saturday, February 24

I was told to stay off of training for a week but staying at home, working on Empowered and managing stuff for Hulk's, has been making me go stir crazy.  I decided to hit the boxing club, skip the skipping because of I didn't really care to shake my head to much, but get in some rounds of the heavy bag and then lift some weights.

So that's exactly what I did.

After boxing I showered and threw on a sweater and the shortest of shorts.  The plan was just to go to The Refined, grab some food at Mercato and then head home.  

Ya, like that really happened. 

Of all days for me to wear shorts, which I should note I almost never do, I choose the day I run into a potential investor, a female boxer who recognizes me and a fan.  I looked like I was running around the city with no pants on for goodness sake, oh gosh.  Embarrassing but funny. 

I'm becoming addicted to this particular book store, "Fully Booked", but tonight it really sparked a great idea in my head.  I really like affirmations, I love lists, and I love books that are bombarded with them but tonight I searched high and low for a particular kind of book that collaborated these plus a few other ideas I was hoping I'd find in a book.

No such luck.

And just like that, I found my newest project... I'm going to write a book.  

Correction, I'm going to create a book.  The writing part, well, that's up to the reader actually.

It'll be a little side project of mine.  Not to sure on what will ever become of it but I'd at least like to see where it goes even if it's just a disconnection from business and boxing for me.  That will suffice. 

This couldn't come at a more perfect time because I've been struggling lately to find a means of disconnection, a way of turning my brain off and just relaxing.  It's so hard though, the struggle is real.  Even after boxing, when I return home exhausted and drained, I have business emails to attend to, meetings to set up, and business is always on my brain.  I don't think about business when I'm boxing, I'm super focused on my training, and if I could prolong my training longer so to keep my brain off business I would but that's not a realistic means of disconnecting.  Plus, I don't exactly want to kill myself or even so much as get injured (again).   

No comments: