As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Empowered Women to the Core... Wednesday, February 14

If the movie Wonder Woman got mad crazy reviews in the theatre for it's empowered women then the women in The Black Panther stole center stage. 

Step aside Wonder Woman, let Okoye, Naika, the Queen, and Shuri show you how women empowerment is all about. Take a lesson from them. You've got a scientist, a warrior, a queen mother, and a spy. They're all incredibly intelligent fierce women and if they're brains doesn't intimidate you then their passionate personalities and beauty will. Okoye sports a badass bald head and a bold redlipstick while leading the all-female special forces and slaying the bad guys, while the Queen rocks some badass snow-white dreadlocks.

I particularly wasn't impressed by the Wonder Woman movie and was left rolling my eyes at one too many scenes in it.  It was okay but I thought it was definitely did not live up to the hype.  But the women in The Black Panther... damn.  There wasn't anything I didn't love about them and I left totally ranting and raving about them.  My favourite character was Okoye and my favourite scene was when she came face to face with the man she loves.  "Would you kill me, my love?", he asks.  "For Wakanda [my country]? No question" she tells him.  He then drops his sword and drops to one knee before her.

If you haven't seen the movie yet, definitely go see.  Go see it and then tell me if the women in The Black Panther didn't just totally kick Wonder Woman to the curb and show what women empowerment really is.

No comments: