As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Happy People Don't Hate... Sunday, February 25

After a long day of coaching, business meetings, and work on Empowered, I was treated to a night out.  My evening meeting was unexpectantly canceled so Skittles and I headed to a little Italian diner for a late night cheat snack.

I had strawberry cheesecake and he had an order of fish and chips and then ice cream.

We got talking about the struggles, the trials and tribulations with being an entrepreneur.

Skittles has an ex who, for the lack of appropriately creative words that I care to actually share on my homepage here, is quite the anti-cheerleader in his life.   I, on the other hand, have some interesting "anti-fans", as I call them and they're all online because God knows hiding behind the computer screen gives them a sense of courage that makes up for their total lack of balls to say things to my face like a real man or a real woman.

"It only fuels me more", he noted, "proving her wrong".  I disagreed.

I refuse to give anyone going against me credit.  They're not due any acknowledgement because that would only mean I'm grateful for them and they helped me.  I'm not grateful for them because I'm not anything towards them.  If anything, I feel sorry for them. 

It's like when you were a kid.  You knew the difference between right and wrong and bullying, you knew that was wrong.  But now that we're older, we're adults, it's like bullying is okay because we're adults and we know better.  How is being a bully when you're an adult being any better though?! Why is it okay for an adult to bully but not a child?  It's not any less mean or cruel.  The Internet is full of them, adult bullies, all hiding behind the computer screen.  

They do know the person they're harassing online is a person though, right?!  I question that.

Whoever is trying to bring you down is already below you.
I have my share of hate commenters and it's pretty easy to track down who some of them are actually.  I know one of them in particular is this guy in Toronto who wanted to date me.  I told him I wasn't interested and then he got nasty.  Holy desperate.

Happy people don't hate and that's the truth.

You're either happy or not.  Hate commenters are not in the pool of happy people and so I feel sorry for them.  I feel sorry for them because, well first of all they're not happy, but they're so unhappy that they feel the need to make others feel as crappy about their life as they do.

I use to be a hater, I'll admit it.  I became a bitter foreigner in Korea when life started unraveling out of control and it was hard not to lash out at random people so I stuck to myself.  I knew I was bad company.  I wasn't in a good place, in my head that is, so I really tried to distance myself.  Now that I've been proactive with my life though, things are much different.  Now days I really try hard to share my positive vibes because energy is contagious, both good energy and bad energy.  Every day I consciously make an effort to spread positive energy.  I will purposely say hi to every security guard I pass by and sometimes that's about a dozen in one walk somewhere.  I purposely make it a daily routine to write 10 positive comments on 10 Instagram posts of other people and likewise on Facebook posts.  I know it's not a big thing to do but all these little things add up and, hey, you never know whose day you cheered up.  

Life isn't all unicorns and rainbows but it doesn't have to be gloom and doom.  Share some love.

Happy people don't hate... my new go-to hashtag that I'm initiating.  

No comments: