As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Bitter or Better... Sunday, March 25

Had one of those moments today when someone said something that shook me though he honestly had absolutely no idea of what he was even talking about.  He was just relaying a message, "something from God", he said.  My eyes swelled up with tears and then, after he finished, I joked about him killing my "tough boxer girl" image.  

I went to church today, out in Makati, and after the service I went out for lunch with one of the pastors, his family, and Skittles.  It wasn't until after our meal, when the pastor stopped us to pray for guidance for Skittles and I that the pastor shook me with his words. 

In his prayer, he mentioned Korea.  He noted that it scarred me and elaborated a bit.  I've never talked to him about Korea though beyond the language and food, and I definitely have never told him what happened to me there, so I was completely shocked when he said what he said.  I haven't even known him long enough for him to even get hint that life for me there wasn't all peaches and cream.  I think this is maybe the fourth time I've ever seen him actually.  Needless to say, his words spoke loud in my mind and really touched my heart. 

He said "God says you dream too small" which is super ironic because I think I dream too big but have had to downplay it and shrink it so that it's realistic and attainable.  

This week has really been a trying week and it's been a struggle to not walk out of it bitter and heartbroken.  "Things can make you bitter or better", I tell myself, and I'm really trying to come out the better person because of all the things thrown at me this week.  

The rest of the afternoon I dwelled on what the pastor said to me and then I got ready to coach my BoxHIIT in the Park.  I had a packed class tonight though two new girls that had signed up online never did show.  I'm not worried about that.  I love boxing, whether it's coaching it or doing my own training, so it was definitely a sweet way to end this sour week.

My whole week wasn't sour, only Wednesday was, but it's all I can think of when I think of this week.

No comments: