As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, March 30, 2018

Feast Time with Family... Friday, March 30

Out to the province with the family pilot driving me there.

"Only family will be there", a line I've heard so often but have been around Filipinos long enough to know that "only family" means already an big whack of people.  It also means their drivers, their helpers and their yah-yahs.  

"Only family" today meant probably OVER SIXTY people in attendance.

Go big or go home, apparently the motto of Filipino families and I absolutely love it.

And where there is a Filipino family there is sure to be food, and they go big with that too!!!

Today was pretty much an overdose-on-family food fest with a beautiful street parade as the main event.  We stopped eating for the parade, actually the parade and the church service, and then continued eating.  At one point we even took a short car ride to another family member's house where there was more food.

With my possible training camp starting up on Monday, having this Holy Week right before it was quite perfect.  I can't say I indulged too much on the food -- I'm not a big fan of cold food and most Filipino food at these kind of celebration get-togethers consist of cold food -- but I ate a ton of fruit.  I think I ate most of the bananas at the first house, another couple at the next house and then, when walking around town, I bought a chopped up pineapple from a street seller and downed that. 

No comments: