As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Boxing Bells and Wedding Bells... Sunday, April 22

I didn't go to church today, instead I went running and then I went boxing.

I think God will understand,... or at least forgive me.

I've got my game brain on.  Boxing is on my brain 24/7 until it's officially Fight Day and that's in exactly three weeks.  Three weeks today I'll be stepping into the ring against the W.I.B.A fourth ranked minimum weight female fighter.  That's how I woke up, thinking about that very sentence.  That sentence is what keeps me up at night and wakes me up with a belly full of nerves and eagerness to go train.  Snickers tells me the fact that she's 4th shouldn't intimidate me but excite me because it's going to skyrocket my ranking and it only means she has all that more to lose.  He says the pressure is on us both but he argues that it's more on her side than mine -- she's the hometown girl, 4th in the world, has more ring experience, and is the expected win.  I'm stepping into this fight as the underdog but the aim is to step in as a Filipino fighter, not a Korean one.

Trained with Coach Adamson today, like I always do at Team Insider.  He trains me hard but we also have a lot of fun training.  He just recently got his hair cut so he's quite impressed with how he looks in the mirror and is always randomly dancing.  It's quite amusing.  The big difference between the other boxing clubs I've trained at here in the Philippines and Team Insider is the fact that they only have a 30 second rest in between rounds.  So it's 3 minutes on (the round) and then only 30 seconds off (the rest).  I also do more padwork here compared to the other clubs and through in the fact that I do all my padwork rounds one after another and with only a 30 second rest in between each round, the intensity is on a whole other level.  Coach Adamsom is more on me too.  He watches me when I'm working the heavy bag and often stops me to correct my form or tell me to do this or do that combo.  He's known to also give me extra exercises to do too, like a tire footwork exercise where I had to keep one foot in the tire, throw my jabs, and work my pivot both forward and backward.  Only when I do my functional training after my boxing am I kind of left alone to do as I please.

Two training sessions today and then I was scheduled to coach my BoxHIIT in the Park.

I hit the pads a bit off today and felt a sharp sudden pain bolt up my arm so I decided to cancel my BoxHIIT with Empowered so that I could nurse my wrist.  I really can't afford to miss a day of training nor injury it more with coaching much less coach a free session, so I made the decision to cancel.

No sooner did I cancel my BoxHIIT but then I was jumping into a Grab car and heading off to a wedding expo.  The Refined had a display up so I thought I'd join them and try to brighten up their day. They had been there all day already, just standing there and greeting whomever was there for the expo.  I checked out the other displays, I was impressed but I didn't feel any kind of "wedding bug".  "I don't care to get married again", I told one company rep, "I just the nice ring".  I thought it was funny, she just thought I was weird.  Fair enough.  I don't even care for a nice ring.  Snickers had saved up his fight money for my ring, I remember that, and though I don't wear it anymore I still love that memory.  I honestly don't care to get married again though.  "Checked that off my Bucket list", I joked.  

No comments: