As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Empowering Girls... Tuesday, April 24

Yesterday, the sourness of my opponent canceling our fight distracted me from sharing the sweetness of my morning business meeting so I thought I'd write about that today.

Yesterday morning I met up with a particular lady here who works at an all-girls home.  It's kind of like a safe place home for young girls who come from troublesome families or are having other issues, like runaways.  She was told by a common friend to get a hold of me because she's looking for a female who's all about female empowerment, a woman who would be willing to step up and take on an active role at this safe place.  And, well you know me, I'm all about female empowerment.  Hello, that's the name of my business.  It was a perfect fit in our friend's mind so yesterday we met to see if in actuality we'd be a perfect fit.  We definitely are.  What she proposed to me is to have me come into the all-girls safe place home once a month to coach them, to do a boxing workout with them.  She also asked me if I'd be interested in coaching a weekly paid class at a local condo.

Yes and yes.

In my head it was more like a double "hell yes".  

I'm for sure down for it, for them both, but I'm super excited and very interested in the all-girls safe place.  I love the idea of giving back and really giving these young girls a means of gaining confidence and empowerment.  I love it.  The paid class will be fun too, of course, and the fact that I'll be getting paid is a much needed relief for me.  But the all-girls monthly session, very cool.  I love what the safe place stands for, I love what it offers these girls, and I love the idea of it really encouraging these young girls to break out of their comfort zone and expand upon themselves.  They can be so much more if they only believe and I love the fact that this safe space and those working there really try hard to be positive role models for them.  They're changing lives and I definitely want to be a part of that.  

I left the meeting with my head buzzing with all sorts of ideas, one idea being a kind of big sister program where I'd link the ladies from my Empowered Clubhouse with the young girls of this safe place.  These girls are young school girls today but they're the women of tomorrow.  There are 25 of them and, well, my Empowered Clubhouse has well over 300 women, so there's definitely potential to make this idea a reality in the future and really expand upon the idea of giving back and having empowered women empower women.  

No comments: