As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Not Giving Up... Wednesday, April 25

There's definitely a misconception going around that because I'm "white" I must have money.

First of all, I'm an athlete and an entrepreneur, so unless I have a fight or make something, I don't get paid.  I use to coach my Tuesday boxing class and for awhile was charging for my bootcamps in Ayala Triangle, back in my Makati-living days, but that's no longer the case.  

I do a lot of work for free, and if anything, actually pay to work... like buy handwraps so that the girls I coach can be properly geared up and whatnot.  

Lately I've been approached about personal training one of my clients who use to attend my Empowered boxing class at Hernandez Boxing.  Her boyfriend reached out to me about coaching her and setting her up with a proper meal plan.  I can totally do that.  I reached out to her and threw her my ideas.  Now to see what she goes for.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the boxing matchmaker regarding me possibly having a fight May 22nd.  The May 13th fight is a no-go, my would-have-been and should-have-been opponent and her team aren't even answering their phones apparently.  Not cool but it is what it is.  She or they or whomever, they don't want her to fight me.  I guess I should be flattered but I'm not.  Instead, I'm insulted and frustrated.  

I spent a good chunk of my morning searching online other possible opponents and in my research, it was interesting to note some key Filipino fighters who have been used and abused for the sake of raising the ranks of other boxers.  It's not a Filipino thing, it happens every where.  Korea didn't do it so much but they are notorious for not letting most of their high ranked boxers fight outside of the country.  At least with these Filipino fighters, many of them are traveling and I really respect that.  It's a whole other fight being the visitor fighter in a foreign country so the fact that many Filipino fighters are taking the jump and fighting outside of their comfort zone is pretty awesome.  What's not awesome though is fighters saying no to fights.  That's not cool.  

No comments: