As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Taking My Own Advice... Saturday, April 21

The other day one of my sparring partners from Canada messaged me.  Her daughter Eve is also a boxer, a young boxer but very passionate and gaining skills by the day.  Eve has a fight coming up and is super nervous so her mother reached out to me for advice.  This is what I wrote back to her.

Any advice... LOTS! Think of the best thing that can happen and then think of the worst thing. Best thing is you can win. Worst thing is you can lose and learn, and is that really so bad?! I mean. Losing is not the goal but you learn from it. Don't be afraid of it and I think that's what stops so many of us from really enjoying the fight and trying our best. We're so afraid of losing.

So what happens if you, Eve, lose? Your mom is still going to be super proud of you, you'll still be the young hero at the boxing club that everyone respects and admires. Nothing will really change except you'll have one less win.

Trust your training, trust your coaches, but have fun and don't be afraid to lose. Go to win but remember it is a sport, someone wins and someone loses, but the sun still shines the next day and you're still just as fabulously talented as the day before, just now you have to take from that fight, grow from it, and pick out what you can learn from it.

Strange advice? Maybe, but it's good advice. I don't want Eve to feel so pressured to win because I'm sure she boxes because she loves it. It's hard to keep the passion alive and I'm kind of struggling with that myself with preparing for this next fight when everyone is telling me over and over than I'm the underdog. Every day I wake up with so much anxiety regarding this fight and feel like I want to puke but the truth of the matter is what's the best and the worst that can happen.

No one can take this experience away from her, it's all a learning process but it's also meant to be fun.
Ironically enough, it's advice that I also need to be taking myself but I think in writing it out to her it really helped me to digest my situation more. 

She's 4th in the world and I'm no where near here.  In reality, she has more to lose.

No comments: