As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Tweeking My Game... Thursday, April 19

I know the only way to get better at anything is to surround yourself with those who'll push you up and help make you better.  Whether it's them passing on tools of the trade they've acquired, teaching you something or just giving you advice, you don't get better unless you surround yourself with the better.  Like Skittles once said, "If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room".  

Similarly, with boxing, you only learn from those better than you.  Coach Bogs is a great boxer and I'm really trying hard to be up to par with his footwork and movement, so stepping into the ring to spar against him is all that more difficult for me.  Today that's what I did though, I stepped in and sparred with him.  I think sparring with Coach Bogs is the only person that's really able to get into my head and make me mentally frustrated.  I found myself in the second round telling myself to calm down and fight smart.  I couldn't out move him, his footwork is so much better than mine, so I had to come up with a different strategy.  

Sparring with Coach Bogs also, more often than not, includes me walking away with some kind of injury.  Last week it was a kidney shot that left me unable to stomach my food the next day and a half and the other week it was a liver shot that was super painful.  Today, nothing too dramatic as previous weeks but we did get a bit intense in the last round and I ended up taking a super low blow to the thigh.  Holy Charlie horse!!!  I walked out of the ring with a few scraps on my arm and face from us scrapping it out in the corner, infighting, but nothing crazy.  Overall, it was a great sparring session after which I sat down with Coach Bogs and talked about what parts I need to put more focus on at training. 

No comments: