As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, May 08, 2018

I Came THIS Close... Tuesday, May 8

I came this close... [enter me pinching my fingers together in front of your face].

I came that close.  That close to taking a gym ball in my condo gym and bouncing it off some little kid's head.  I'm serious.  That sounds mean, I know, but I had gone there to workout and some parent had brought their kids and allowed them to go wild.  So there I was, in the private studio that's already small enough as it is, stuck in there with three other ladies and these two little kids.  The one was the worse though, he was a wild child.  He kept on playing with one of those gym balls, as if it were a beach ball.  At first it was annoying, yes, but when he bounced that ball and it bounced off my head.... wow.  

I was working the ab roller when it happened.

No apology, no comment from his mom, and no real response from the kid except to retrieve the ball.

It must have hit me three times, almost four.

When it almost hit me the fourth time, I stopped working out and instead sat and counted out loud, down from ten.  I'd give him ten seconds to either figure out I was about to go ape crazy on his head and leave or calm the hell down.

Two minutes later they all left.

General rule people, don't bring your kids to the gym.  Many of actually do use the gym to workout in and having your kids act as if it's one big free-for-all jungle gym is purely distracting, disruptive, and disrespectable.  

I don't go to a daycare and expect to workout so don't come to the gym and expect it to be a daycare for your kids.

Sounds silly, sure, but there is some common sense in that last statement. 

If that kid were a full-grown adult, people would be complaining, but because it's a kid it's okay?!  Umm, since when was it okay in the first place to bring a little kid to the gym?!  Exactly.

That little kid got to me, he got in my head, and for the rest of my workout I was pissed off.

No comments: