As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

The Cost of a Boxer... Wednesday, May 23

How much it costs me to sustain myself as a pro boxer on a monthly basis...


2,000
Boxing Club monthly fee
2,800
Tip outs to Coach
2,200
Sparring/ Training at visiting club
8,800
Food delivery: Yummy Diet
4,000
Weekend food (because Yummy Diet doesn’t deliver on weekends)
6,000
Supplements
900
Hydration
26,700
TOTAL


My fight is my pay check.  but no fight means no pay check.  Three fights cancelled now which means three pay checks missed.  The life of a pro fighter is a struggle and the struggle is very much real.  I try to cut corners with expenses by buying cheap running shoes, fixing up my gear by myself instead of replacing it, trying to attract sponsors, and walking every where.

I've started taken on personal training clients and, yes, before I was making some money via bootcamps in Ayala Triangle and the Small Boxing Class in Makati, but that hardly sustained me and the money that was owed to me doing my boxing class was never fully given to me because of administration BS.  I was grateful for the experience but it was a hard lesson learnt and it served to only remind me to push forward more.  The universe definitely was yelling at me on that one, wow.

Now I'm doing personal training and small team training but unless I get a move on with launching my own physical space, now I run into the problem of having to say no to new clients.

No comments: