As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Feeling a Bit Numb... Sunday, June 17

In the last 15yrs I've only spent 2 Father's Days in Canada with my dad and now the holiday is here again. I'm here and he's there.  I know that when I returned to Canada, in between returning from Korea and going to The Philippines, he really thought he'd have more holidays with me.  So did I.  My move to the Philippines was totally unexpected, one that I have no regrets, but it meant no more holidays with friends and family in Canada, my dad obviously included.  

My family never came out to Korea to see the life and success I had created for myself there so I'm not expecting it from them now that I'm living in the Philippines.  It hurts.  It really hurts and I don't think they fully understand that.  Just as they're hurt that I'm not there to spend holidays and time with them, I feel I am doubly hurt because they won't even get to share a glimpse of my life.  I could be selling flip flops on the beach or living under a rock for all they know, seriously.  I just don't understand how I could travel to the other side of the world and they not want to see it.  

When I was building Hulk's, my mother had just passed away and I thought it'd be the pull my dad needed to get him out of what eventually became a stuck spot in his life.  He still mourns the death of my mother which is totally understandable but he only talks of the past, his time with her, and he really isn't interested in making future plans or traveling.  I know he will never come to see my life here and I feel a bit bitter about it because I know my mother would want him too.  Consequently, the more and more I build my next business, Empowered, the less and less I share with him.  If anything, I talk to him about Skittles' business and how his parents flew in from Canada to experience it.  I'm happy Skittles has family that's flown out to see his business.  I don't envy him for that but instead find comfort in it because I don't think he'd be able to handle my situation and I wouldn't wish it upon him.  

I've lived outside of Canada now for roughly 12.5 years, almost 13, and it doesn't get easier not having family to visit you but you do become a bit numb by it.  You have to.  If you cared about it then it'd eat you up.  Instead, you learn to ignore it and you learn to care a little less about it.

No comments: