As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, June 01, 2018

One Refined Coach... Friday, June 1

I've trained in 5 different countries so I've worked with many coaches.  I too am a coach and I know I am the coach I am being of those coaches who have trained me.  I've picked up different training techniques, pointers, exercises, and so much from them all. 

#blessed ...totally appropriate right here for the coaches I've worked with.

I've had coaches that are super in love with the sport, at the top of their game, goofy and silly with how they coach and those who are ultra intense or incredibly technical when they coach.  They're all so different but the one thing that they all share is their love for the sport and the beatings their body goes through with coaching.

It's one thing that you, as a boxer, experiences doing padwork, for example, but try being a coach.  You're throwing the punches, exerting the energy, but they're catching those punches, exerting the energy needed to provide the resistance to do so.  They're also bouncing around in the ring with you so just like you get tired, they get tired as well.  I vouch that it's just as much as a workout for a fighter as it is a coach.  And that's just the physical aspect of the game.  There's also the mental and emotional.  Thinking up new exercises and drills to keep their fighters moving forward and challenged, the politcs of the sport that goes down behind the scenes with getting fights for their fighters, etc., etc.,... etc.  I remember Snickers, back when he was my coach in Korea, he used to get so hot and bothered when I didn't understand what he was trying to point out to me.  He'd huff and he'd puff.  I thought he'd blow the whole club down.  I knew it was only because he just really wanted me to understand, to learn, and to get better, but damn did he ever get frustrated over trying to coach me. 

The life of a coach, it's not an easy one.  You definitely have to love what you do to do it, especially in the wonderful world of boxing where your body continually takes a daily beating even when it's not you fighting but you training a fighter.

Having said all this, today it felt so good to show some love and appreciation to Coach Adamson.

Today I took him to The Refined.

He got an hour foot massage, an hour full body massage, and then he sipped on coffee while he got his hair cut.  He was treated like a king and his reaction was beyond adorable.  He was so overly grateful, insisting I take his picture with them all and wanting to give money so he could tip everyone.  

I know how much Coach Adamson makes.  Today's salon visit was 1/3rd what he makes a month but it felt like a million dollars to spoil him as such because he really does train me hard and he's so deserving of it.  It was amusing to see him on his best behaviour at The Refined and to see just how quiet and polite that meant he got.  I'm so use to him yelling at the club, dancing around half naked, and really being all silly and goofy.  He really is such a big kid at heart but today, at The Refined, he was quite the sweet gentleman and I was so proud at how handsome they made him and how well he was treated.

No comments: