As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, June 18, 2018

Sparring Day... Monday, June 18

Sparring Day for me.  Haven't sparred in about 2-3 weeks so I was excited for today but I knew Coach Adamson would go perhaps a little harder on me because he has upped my training and now I'm somewhat comfortable with the intensity.  I didn't think I'd ever get comfortable training in this heat though but I am.  I quite prefer it too actually.

The plan was to only go four rounds but in the first round I told him to hold off a bit.  He was hitting a little bit too hard and it's almost as if I felt my brain jiggle.  He's got the upper hand on me with his height and with added height comes an added reach.  I'm convinced his arms are the same length of my legs so it's hard to get in a punch without taking one or really being more so focused on my defense.  My focus was to get in.  Whether that be to get in via charging him with bunches of punches or slipping under his jab to get in, I didn't know but that was my game plan.  

My game plan was good but fighting most of the four rounds as an infighter meant there was an excess of head butting.  My head to his chin about a dozen times, or so it felt.  I didn't have to wait till tomorrow to feel that.  I definitely felt it on my walk home from training and even at training actually.

No comments: