As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, July 20, 2018

Happy is Cheating, Wait, What?!... Friday, July 20

Hey man, if I'm going to have a cheat meal then it's definitely going to be a happy meal!

Was treated out to a very happy, very dirty, cheat meal tonight after I made a kind of sad realisation.

"I don't go out because I don't get asked out", is what I caught myself telling someone today at The Refined.  It was a sad truth but to say it out loud and to hear myself say it, it was even sadder.  Truth hurts sometimes and this was definitely one of those times.

I don't have friends in the Philippines.  I have people I know at boxing and then I have people I know because of business.  There really isn't anyone that's not connected to either or.

My life here focuses on "The Three B's"... boxing, business and Balboa.

When I'm not boxing, I'm working on my business and when I'm not boxing or working on my business, I'm doing something with Balboa.  Okay, okay, so that's not entirely true.  I do stuff with Skittles too.  But the fact of the matter is I really don't go out.  I don't disconnect.  Tonight's cheat meal out was an attempt to disconnect but it was an epic fail because all Skittles and I really talk about are, well, The Three B's.

Minus the reality TV show crew with their cameras and microphones hanging over my head and lurking around the corner, my life here in the Philippines is somewhat becoming like my life in Korea -- all work and no play.  I haven't travelled here yet because I don't have the money or means to do so but also because who would I really go with?!  Exactly.  I've yet to even touch the ocean's waters too.  I saw the ocean, twice actually.  At The Mall of Asia when I went there to watch a boxing tournament and once when I went there to watch a live theatre show.  

I once joined an introvert group here.  I'm loud and confident in front of people when it comes to my business and boxing but when I'm not dealing with that, I'm quite reserved and I rather spend time at home by myself, with Balboa.  I went to one of their group get togethers and it basically consisted of a bunch of introverts talking about how their introverts.  Honestly, the coffee was what lured me there and kept me there but I never returned.  

I'm craving some disconnection though, friends that have nothing to do with boxing or business.  I love boxing and I love business but sometimes I just want to... just need to... have something different for a change.  I'd be perfectly happy sitting around, sipping on coffee and talking about dogs, for example, but somehow that always loops around to boxing and/or business.  

I think that's why my closest friends in Canada that I miss so much, I miss them even more now that I've been here for awhile.  I don't have anyone in my life here that even remotely comes close to them and our friendships.  They had nothing to do with boxing or business.  We were all about coffee dates, traveling in and around the city, trips to the cottage, and checking out different restaurants.  I think the closest I have here to them are family members of Skittles but even that has changed.  Many of his cousins and whatnot have become clients of mine and whenever we meet, they always ask about my boxing and business.  I appreciate their interest, for sure, but I need a some disconnection.

There is more to me than boxing and business but no one really sees that here nor do I really get to explore and expand upon it here.

1 comment:

Alex N T said...

You posted this and then a few posts later wrote about how you judged a woman for taking the weekend off from her work. That woman has friends and family and a life outside of her business specifically because she takes weekends off, because she makes time for friends, because she can separate 'work life' from 'other life'. You're not going to meet people outside business and boxing if all you ever do is business and boxing. You need to book some down time off every week and really make an effort to do something outside of your normal routine if you want to meet some new people! Easier said than done, I know, but the people you're looking for are out there, you just need to make the time to find them :)