As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Encouraging Self Love... Saturday, October 13

Am I doing enough?  Am I really using my skills, my potential, and really making a difference?

As I sat on the floor with the Lil' Sistas I thought about this as they did the self love reflection activity with me.  Earlier on today I sat in my apartment, picking my brain about what I could do to really make this Lil' Pow Class have an impact.  I mean, sure I'm teaching them boxing and with that comes building their confidence and self esteem, improving their social skills and team spirit, but how more can I use this time to really empower them.

Whenever I coach a personal training client, small team or a BoxHIIT Camp, I always have a specific outline I follow according to what type of training session it is.  But for my Lil' Pow Class, I hadn't yet made up an outline.  I was more or less just going in and throwing activities at them, seeing what sticks and winging it.  The girls are always so hyper when I arrive so I usually just jump into the games and drills but there's no real plan or outline.  

Today I created an outline, a flow for our session to follow, and it started with circle time.

Honestly, it was so nice to start off on a kind of mellow note, with them sitting around me in a circle, and then to go into a self love reflection activity I had created.  I had asked them to sit quietly and, in their head, finish my sentence, "I am...".  I then showed them my book where I had written it down on three different pages and asked for three volunteers to write their answer.  I definitely felt there was a more impactful effect having the girls write their answers down in my book.  I then flipped the page and showed them what I had written, "She is..."  Again, I got three volunteers to write in their answers about their friends and then we discussed their answers.  It was super cute how the friends of these girls responded to their answers.  I'm sure it was flattering but it was surely one of those feel-good moments that some of them needed.  At the end of the class, I asked the girls to join me in a circle once again.  We then went around the circle and every girl gave their answer to my initial statement, "I am..."

It was interesting to hear their answers and see how they weren't as shy with volunteering their answers as they were at the start.  One little girl responded with "I am awesome" and I loved that.  I had explained to them earlier the name of my company and what it meant but it caught me off guard when one girl responded with "I am empowered" to my activity.  I clapped and smiled and everyone else clapped too.  It was a good activity.

No comments: