As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, October 03, 2018

I'm On My Own... Wednesday, October 3

I posted the first picture on my Facebook today and wrote the following caption under it on Facebook:
A little over a year ago, when we both decided to make the Philippines our home country after coming here for what was suppose to be only a 3 months visit, I made a promise to myself. I said the next time I visited Canada it'd be only after I set up my company's physical space. I'm a couple of months away from making this a reality but am not yet there. 
This one has succeeded though so today he's traveling to Canada to visit friends and family alone. I'm so incredibly proud of his hustle and grind, and the behind-the-scene challenges and struggles he's conquered that most have no idea about. I'm proud to see him off today but sad to see him go because he's my biggest mentor and source of inspiration. He reminds me on the daily that hustle and heart sets us apart.
Honestly, I got a bit emotional writing that caption.  It was hard to see him leave.  I was happy for him but nervous for me and a bit disappointed in myself too because of why he was going alone.  I haven't yet opened up the physical space for Empowered and I really thought I would have done it by now.  I think I'm still somewhat struggling to not compare the timeline of Empowered with Hulk's in Korea but it's hard not to.  I know it's unrealistic to think it'd work at the same pace because I'm doing things totally legal here and more so on my own.  I'm running the show here.  

I say that I'm nervous to see Skittles leave because these days I've been quite stuck in workaholic mode, working hard but questioning things every day with regards to whether I'm working hard and smart or just hard.  Skittles really helps to bounce ideas off of but he also keeps my perspective in check and is always tell me to take a breather.  Without him here, I'm nervous that I'll either lose my focus and get caught up in feeling overwhelmed or I'll get ultra focused and get caught up in working nonstop with no one here to stop me. 

Already I think the latter of the two is happening.  It is happening.

Just yesterday I was told that I had an important business meeting to present at and, unlike the others who got a week's notice plus backup prep materials, I had but two days to make sense of what was expected of me.  I more or less called them out on it but then it got me thinking.  If I don't make this presentation than I'm also missing out on the chance for new ears to hear my ideas with Empowered and dissect it.  So I decided to prepare for the meeting.  

I stayed up until 1:30am tonight preparing my PowerPoint presentation.  

I have coaching I have to leave at 7:30am for but I went to sleep tonight pondering my presentation.  I decided I didn't like the template background I put it on so I set my alarm clock.  Tomorrow I'm waking up at 5:30am to redo it.

See, it's happened. 

No comments: