As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, October 14, 2018

I'm a Rugby Player Now?!... Sunday, October 14

"What are you doing November to January/February?" I was asked today.

The question was posed to me after I had just spent the previous two hours trying to learn how to play rugby and mingling with the players.  I had been asked by a girl on Instagram to join her for rugby so today I did.  I didn't know anything about the sport and hadn't even watched a game in my life but there I was, on a Sunday morning, out in the sun, learning.  

This girl wasn't just any girl though.  

A few months ago I was approached by a company about hiring influencers to help further my brand and strengthen my company name.  She was one of five influencers suggested but she was really the only one that came close to what I'd want to associate my brand with.  She wasn't this tall, skinny Filipina but instead was this fierce little shorty, only about 5feet, and she had these amazingly thick thighs that screamed she squatted and was strong.  She looked badass and so I started to follow her on Instagram.  Today I joined her for rugby.

Her legs, holy #thighgoals...!!!

I was a bit nervous with joining them because I knew just the other day their all-female team totally kicked butt and won the championship and here I was a girl that's never in her life even so much as touched a rugby ball.  It was good though and the girls was so super sweet in guiding me; I really appreciated that.  Last night they had their victory party so many of the girls were out today for practice so they said we'd be practicing with the guys.  Talk about extra intimidation.  There was this one guy trying to help me out.  He was like three times my size but only 17 years old!!!  So much for Filipinos being small.  I think the biggest Filipinos in the land were out playing rugby today and I had the task of going against them, great.

I had a lot of fun though I can't vouch for whether I was good or not.  I tried.

As for what I'm doing November to January/February, I guess I'm practicing rugby 2x a week, cool.

No comments: