As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, October 22, 2018

Lil' Sistas On My Mind... Monday, October 22

I'm not going to lie, I woke up today wondering if Saturday really happened.

On Saturday, as I had posted about, I had visited the Center of Hope -- a safe home for survivors of human trafficking.  And though Saturday had happened and even Sunday had come and gone too, I woke up with my visit heavy on my heart and preoccupying my thoughts.  

Changes in plans today meant I didn't have my morning clients but I still woke up early.

It's hard to wake up every day super early and then one day not to continue it.

So I was up at 5:30am, out the door walking Cassius and Balboa by 5:40am, and then back in bed by 6am.  I laid there thinking about the Center of Hope and the Holy Family Home too.  I've agreed to coach 76 girls, 76 Lil' Sistas.  Not together but instead in two groups -- one of 26 and one of 50.  The group at the Center of Hope is the larger of the two groups but they're also the oldest and their facility is more appropriate for the Lil' Pow Class because it's more spacious and open.  

Do I know how exactly I'm going to go about coaching a class of 50 when I only am getting a shipment of 26 gloves in?!  Nope.  It's one of those situations though that I'm just going to jump and learn how to fly on the way.  There's of course the issue of commuting with all that gear too; that's another issue.  I'll figure it out though because where there's a will, there's a way.  

The more and more I further the Lil' Sistas Project the more and more I honestly am happier to be swaying away from the typical fitness industry standards and expectations here.  It all just seems so superficial and image-focused.  I don't have the crazy abs and wear the sexy, revealing training clothes, nor do I train with a full face of make up and look pretty, so I know I've missed out on a lot of sponsorships because of that.  They say you have to do what you have to do till you get to do what you want to do but I think that's bull.  I'm not going to objectify just to get more noticed and more corporate sponsors or deals.  I think to do so would mean to change who I am, what I'm about, and why those who follow me do so.  Once in a blue moon I'll post a picture of myself in a sports bra on Instagram and honestly the response I get from it always disgusts me.  Take for instance the picture I posted of me complaining about a silly salad I bought.  I noted it was more expensive than my sports bra.  The likes and responses I got from that killed the picture I posted of my Lil' Sista Pow Class, a boxing class where I taught 23 little girls how to box.  A class that is impacting the lives of 23 little beautiful girls; a class that's empowering girls.  

Cleavage beats kindness to strangers on social media and that should tell you right there that "likes" and "follows" mean nothing.  But I kind of want to correct myself there because they do mean something, well, depending on what situation you're standing on.  For me personally, if I wasn't trying to further myself as a brand and gain sponsors for not only my sport but also my company, then yeah, I wouldn't care about likes and follows.  But the truth of the matter is that's what companies look at when they consider supporting potential influencers and that's a hard one to accept when you don't care to play that game.

No comments: