As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, November 03, 2018

Am Over It... Saturday, November 3

Baby's got her grove on... again.  I'm back!!!

Honestly, I've been seriously embracing the suck these past days though I don't know how evident I've been about it online.  I've been trying to lay low about it and perhaps some have noticed because I haven't been boxing or training as much.  I definitely haven't been weight training at the gym.  That was the first to go because I personally don't like my gym.  It lacks a community vibe I've always felt at every other gym, I don't know anyone there beyond a couple of trainers that only say hi to me, and there's no one there that really inspires me.  And by inspire me, I mean there's no girl that I would want to change body's with.  There is no #bodygoal female there for me.  At the boxing club though, it's a different story.  There are plenty of talented boxers who I aspire to be like, just like there are many players at rugby that I see as inspiration.  But at my weight training gym, nope.  Just a bunch of people on their cellphones, including trainers supposedly training clients.

I've been lacking in motivation and direction lately because I feel like all my continual hard efforts and struggles are just not taking me anywhere.

Skittles called BS on me the other day and claims I've been doing a lot, especially with the Lil' Sista Project.  I've launched a few fundraising items and have sold many, have been approached about a few donations, am now running the Lil' Pow Boxing Class in two facilities, and have 76 Lil' Sistas, but I feel like there should be more I'm doing.  I feel like I should have more to show for my hard efforts and all the time I've put into Empowered.  

For me, I think it comes down to the fact that the physical space not yet launched.

The frustrations are real.

But I think I'm good now.  I don't know how to propel my company further, I'm down to needing more investors but it's hard to get them because they want to know how soon they can make profit off Empowered.  I've taken a different approach with Empowered, my salary isn't my focus but it never has been.  My focus is more so on the Lil' Sista Project and that for investors doesn't make money and, if anything, it costs me money to run.  But I do it because I love it.  It's making a difference.  "A difference" doesn't interest the average investor, money does.  I really wish I could just do this without their financial help.  I wish I could get an investor who sees the impact my company is making, the potential it has and the phases that it's going to evolve into.  It's only entering the second phase but by the third phase it's going to be really big.  I've planned for four phases.  The fifth phase has yet to be decided upon but trust me when I say it'll already be super big by the time it enters the fourth phase.  Investors are going to be kicking themselves when they see it and I can only wish to be there reminding them of their "no's" and "no thank yous".  I want to see them kick themselves with regret because that's what it's going to come to.  Them regretting they never got in before it got big and me saying no to them because they didn't care when I just started out.  

Just because someone says no to you doesn't mean you can't do it, it just means you can't do it with them.  I long for the day when I get to say no to all the people that said no to me at the start. 

No comments: