As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, November 04, 2018

It Comes with Being an Athlete... Sunday, November 4

I'm nursing quite a number of training injuries this week, surprisingly enough.  And though I'll be the first to note I usually don't have quite this many all at once, I do nurse an injury at least once a week.

Current injuries I have:
1.  Sprained wrist on my right hand
I got this the other week from using someone's undersized, overused boxing gloves.  I went on to do a Vlog about this and an Instagram post too so trust me when I say I'm kicking myself for using those gloves.  

2.  Plantar Fasciiitis in my right foot
My runners have quite the supportive arch in them so I wear them all the time but I also wear my boxing boots all the time and they're completely flat.  You see, boxing boots are typically flat soled and have no arch in them because they're meant to be flexible.  I, for one, usually stand on the balls of my feet when I box but if I'm wearing a general running shoe, this isn't so possible.  Plus a running shoe is much heavier.  So, my right foot, it's sporting plantar fasciitis right now and it's super sore.  I have to stretch it out a lot because it feels like an extra tight elastic band; an old one that is about to snap actually.

3.  Jammed finger on my right hand
During the first pass to me at rugby, the ball was thrown too short so it bounced off the ground.  But when it bounced off the ground it hit my finger wrong; it jammed it.  First throw of the training session and I had to fumble it.  Honestly, it hurt like a mofo so for the rest of training I tried extra hard not to fumble any balls thrown to me.  I fumble very few today.  All out of fear baby.  I only had 9 fingers left and I wasn't about to surrender them to the same pain my one finger experienced.

4.  Popped blood vessels on my face
This is the only non-training injury I'm sporting and, ironically enough, it's also the only injury that's not on the right side of my body too.  Tonight Balboa fell asleep on my pillow before I actually went to bed.  I thought I'd nuzzle up to him but when I did so I obviously startled him.  He clearly mistook me for Cassius and, consequently, snapped at me.  The scrape of his teeth on my lip made it swell up and when he turned so suddenly he actually head butted my face, right under my eye.  I'll probably be waking up tomorrow with a black eye but right now I have a few popped blood vessels that result from the crazy head butting.  Talk about ouch!

No comments: