As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, November 25, 2018

They Asked for Skin... Sunday, November 25

At rugby we get super dirty and the chewed up tire bits from playing on the turf seem to multiply like rabbits and find their way into everything and anything, from your clothing to in your mouth.  So when I come home from training, I jump in the shower and change right there, as oppose to in the general bathroom space.  Doing this allows me to contain the explosion of tire bits that will inevitably fall and cause a mess.  However, in doing this today, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and bursted out into laughter.

Oh my gosh... I look like I'm still wearing my rugby uniform!!!

I just had to snap a picture, seriously.  It right in line with a conversation I had just yesterday with one of my business mentors about playing up my sex appeal and selling what sells.

Sex sells, I know, and sexy is the biggest thing, I know that too.  But I also know my definition of sexy isn't the same as to what most think.  By most, I am not a sexy girl and I'm perfectly fine with that.  I don't wear crop tops, show my skin and stick out my chest.  It's just not who I am.  I'm the girl that will knock you out with a punch and not with her looks.  

I refuse to be yet another fitness girl in the industry that turns up her sex appeal to gain the followers, get the sponsors, and up her status.  Some fitness gals are like that naturally but many aren't and I am one of those.  Moreover, the fact that my company's name is EMPOWERED, a word that's all about being confident and owning whomever and whatever you are, to be anything less than I am for my company's "popularity sake" would be, well, totally hypercritical.  I'd have to change the name and God knows I fought like hell to become the empowered woman that I am now so I'm not about to change.

As so, on that note, I decided to snap that picture of me looking absolutely ridiculous, wearing nothing but my "birthday suit" but totally looking like I'm still wearing my rugby uniform.  It was my way of mocking the situation, my way of saying "hey, you wanted skin?!  Here's skin!"  Of course it's not in the fashion suggested to me but it's definitely in Amy-fashion!  It's totally me, in more than one way, that is.

No comments: