As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, November 24, 2018

This is The Best... Saturday, November 24

Today I launched the Lil' Pow Boxing Class out in Antipolo.  It's the second Lil' Pow Boxing Class that I run and it's with my newest addition -- the Lil' Sistas of the Center of Hope.

I woke up super early today, nervous that I'd sleep in and arrive late, and then headed out to meet my newest assistant.  She's the daughter of one of my clients.  A super sweet girl who is only 14.  

I've had a lot of people reach out to me and say they want to volunteer but the truth of the matter is most can't commit.  I don't know whether they think this is a trendy thing, a thing that possibly they're going to get paid for doing, or something that fits their schedule at the time, but commitment has been the biggest obstacle for people.  I've had many people offer to help me and then back out.  So, as of today, I am no longer even entertaining any new volunteers until I finalize something that I decided to do -- an application and interview.  From now on, if someone wants to volunteer with my company, they'll have to fill in an application and go through an interview process.  If they can't be bothered to go through the "hassle" of that, well, then I can't work with them.  The girls I'm coaching are going through a healing process.  They've just experienced something so traumatic in their life that most of us will never ever experience or even being to understand the depths and rippling effect of it.  They need extra care, extra love, mentoring, consistency, and they need people that are going to be there for them.  What they don't need is to have new people coming in and out of their life and that includes random volunteers.  Hell, I don't want random people representing my company, because that's ultimately what they're doing.  They're representing my company when they go there because it's my company that hosts the Lil' Pow Boxing Classes.  Moreover, I also don't want to have to train new people on how I need them to help me, it disrupts the flow of the class and deminishes the focus. 


My focus is on the girls, the Lil' Sistas, and not whomever comes to volunteer with me.  


I take great pride in building my brand, strengthening my company, and so anyone I bring into my team to help with Empowered is to be reflective of what my company stands for.  

But enough about that... back to the actual class.

The girls were awesome and the class was a blast.

Honestly, at the end of the class when we took pictures outside with all the Lil' Sistas, I was so flattered when one girl put her arms around me from the back.  She was standing behind me for the picture and then she decided to hug me.  It felt so awesome to be accepted by these girls and to have them know that I'm here to be their biggest fan.  The ladies at the Center of Hope told me that the girls were all looking forward to seeing me again and to start boxing with me and that was awesome to hear that because I've been super excited about it too.  They're just such awesome girls and I really have a soft spot for them.  When we first arrived, one of the girls took my young assistant by the hand and lead her up the stairs to where we'd be hosting the boxing class.  It was so sweet to see her instantly warm up to her and honestly my heart could have melted right there.  These girls just want love and they're so eager to learn more about us and play with us.  

My Lil' Sistas Project, it by far gives me the best feeling in the world.  I really feel like I've found my calling with launching it because I feel so good when I coach these Lil' Sistas.  I get super silly with them, I'm totally myself, and I find myself getting super protective of them.  I think that's why initiating this whole application/interview thing for interested volunteers gives me a bit of relief from the stress I've been having because of it.  

The Lil' Sistas Project is important to me.  The Lil' Sistas are important to me.  Please handle with care... extra, extra, damn extra care!

(I'd like to throw an "or else" threat here for giggles but 50% of what you joke about is true.)

No comments: