As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, December 15, 2018

Change of Plans... Saturday, December 15

I had sparring in the morning and the boxing club's Christmas party in the evening.

In between I was suppose to be napping. 

The sparring happened, the napping happened, but the party was a no go.

With Angkas being MIA while they fight the government and Grab being overwhelmed with the crazy influx of customers demanding rides, getting a Grab to boxing today took a solid hour.  It was ridiculous.  It wasn't even at rush hour either.  I decided not to go to the Christmas party tonight on account that I didn't want to get stuck in Poblacion.  Normally I'd just walk home but these days I absolutely exhaust myself at training so I simply don't have the extra energy or extra patience to walk home.  

I actually took an Angkas home today from boxing.... but keep that on the low.

Right now Angkas riders are all scared.  If caught at a police check, they risk having their bike impounded and being heavily fined.  So today, when my Angkas driver showed up, he brought an unmarked helmet and we quickly chatted about what "our story" would be, just in case police stop us.  On route to my condo, I spotted a police check up ahead, around the corner, so I quickly told him to go straight instead of turning.  Dodge that one, yikes.  

As for the Christmas party, I'm a bit relieved that I really wasn't able to go.  I'm of course still cutting mad weight and although most would think the food at the party would be hard for me to resist, it's not the issue.  I can resist the temptation.  It's all the loud music and the large crowd.  I feel like I'm hyper sensitive to extra loud noises these days and to crowds of people too.  Plus, I know it's only natural for them to ask me about my fight but I really don't want to go to a party and that be all I talk about.  I think about my fight 24/7, it consumes me, so it'd be nice to have a distraction, a disconnection from it all.  Going to a boxing club party, definitely not going to be able to dodge talking about it.  And so, on that note, because of that plus the whole impossible-to-get-a-Grab situation, I stayed home and went to bed early.

No comments: