As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Keep Your Sorry... Thursday, January 17

Took Balboa to the vet today and on the way back, the Grab driver that I got complained and complained.  He was ticked I had brought my dog into his car.  Balboa is a chill dog though; he just sits on my lap.  Anyways, so the driver kept on complaining and complaining that is until I commented to him that he had been driving the wrong way on a one way street.

Common sense isn't so common.

And speaking of common sense... and professionalism too, and lack there of it.

I've been trying to look for a business mentor -- someone outside of my already-formed business circle that can give an honest and objective perspective of it.  I thought I had found one and so I reached out to her earlier this week.  Tonight we had a meeting.  The meeting was set for 6pm.  When 7pm arrived and she still hadn't arrived, I texted her.  She responded with "am on route".

She arrived around 7:15pm.  No sorry, no thank you for waiting, just "did you already order coffee?" to which I said yes and noted that I had actually already finished it.

I had hoped she'd be my business mentor but when she showed up so late and without any kind of real explanation or apology, I mentally clocked out and crossed her name off in my head.  I then totally dodged the conversation that I had invited her for by lingering on the Lil' Sistas Project in our conversation.  And when she mentioned me wanting to talk to her about mentoring, as I had noted in my email to her, I commented with "yes, but that was an hour ago when I wanted to talk to you".  She responded with a giggle and I honestly had so much I wanted to say at that very moment that I really didn't even know where to begin.  So I said nothing and then said I had to go.

I wasn't impressed.

Life happens, I know, traffic happens too, I know that too, but if you can't give someone so much as a heads up that you'll be late then that's not cool.  And I'm so completely over people arriving super late and playing the victim card -- "I'm so sorry I'm late, the traffic this and the traffic that".  Unless you're new to the Philippines, that's not a legit excuse you can use over and over.  Instead of annoying those waiting for you with sorries, why don't you say "thank you so much for waiting for me, I appreciate that".  That would do wonders to soften the situation.  Don't play the sorry card.  I'll pop it over your head with it.  And don't even get me over "serial tardy people" -- people that are late on the regular.  Trust me, if you work for me and you're a serial tardy person, you won't be working for me long.  I'll fire your a$$!  

Yeah, that's one of my pet peeves, can you tell?

No comments: