As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, March 30, 2019

Bigger Things... Saturday, March 30

When I think of all the things I'm blessed for, things that DIDN'T work out come to my mind.  And today that included a small little space out in McKinley, right beside Cassius and Balboa's vet.  It was once an empty rental space that I was looking to actually secure for Empowered.  However, back when I was fighting for that space, my business idea was to launch a small women's only boxing club.  Since then, as you probably know, my business has taken a different route and now my focus is one-to-one personal training.

I fought hard for that space though.  I fought hard and lost it when one of my investors didn't meet my deadline on letting me know how much money they were investing.  They didn't tell me their number so I couldn't confirm the location legally with the real estate agent.

I lost the space but then my business started to evolve in a different direction.

Now I have a silent investor and it's just the one but it is all I need.

And this leads me to what I've now started to call my "middle finger moments".

A middle finger moment is when someone tries to distract or discourage you from doing what you want but you continue on, regardless, and succeed.  It's a kind of "look at me know" vibe, a moment of pride when you know you conquered yet another challenge thrown your way.  

I've been having a lot of these middle finger moments lately and though I wouldn't want to honestly offend those it involves or burn my bridges, I will note that I am pretty proud to be experiencing these moments because I'm feeling ever so resilient and all that more focused.  These moments definitely feed my soul and fuel the fire within me.

And now, instead of looking at that space besides the vet and thinking of it as a missed opportunity, I view it as a blessing in disguise, a middle finger moment that has lead me to something so much bigger and better that I had absolutely no idea was in store for me and that's pretty damn awesome.

No comments: