As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, March 25, 2019

Decision is Made... Monday, March 25

The renovation house wasn't my first pick but it's my pick. 

Sometimes it's better to get it done then to get it done perfectly and I think that's the case here.  I've been looking for well over a year for "the perfect space" for my clubhouse but perfect doesn't exist and if it does, well, I wouldn't be able to afford it anyways. 

So the reno house it is.  That's where the new and upcoming Empowered Clubhouse is going to be situated.  At Holly Street in Mahogany 3 of Acacia Estates, Taguig.  The fastest it's taken me to get there from my condo in BGC is 14 minutes.  The longest it's taken me is 25 minutes.  It seems like 19/20 minutes is the safe medium and I'll take it.

After boxing today... which was fabulous today to get back into training hard... I went to the house.

I went there just to take a double look at it and then I met with the owner of the house.  We sat and discussed some of their renovations that they're doing.  For starters, the fact that they've made their backyard into an additional massive room is simply f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s.  One problem though.  They're looking into making it a "dirty kitchen" and by that I mean a typical, old style, outside Filipino kitchen were they cook outside so the smells don't stink the entire house.  They're also including a drop ceiling in the main room, something that they've started to work on but I want them to stop and rip down.  It really takes a lot of the open space vibe of the room and makes it feel so much smaller even though technically it's only shorter.   

I'm skeptical that the owner is going to follow through with the plans I inquired about and said I wanted because she said she had to discuss it with her husband and then let me know.  There were things lost in translation and between that and her being distracted with her kids running around and the yayas looking after her kids, there was a lot going on at that little table in the community clubhouse.  None the less, a decision has been made and now I am as excited as I am scared and nervous.  I do question if I made the right decision but nothing has been signed yet so I can still breath somewhat before that happens.

No comments: