As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Surprised a Surprise... Wednesday, March 20

My best bud was coming to the Philippines today; it was to be epic.  He is the second of two friends who came to Asia to visit me but the first of any to come specifically to the country I was in just because of me so you best believe I was going to change my plans, cancel appointments, and spend as much time as I could with him.

It's hard to be here in the Philippines, in Asia, not having any close friends like I do in Canada.

The times when I needed a good friend to lean on, the times when I wanted someone to share an achievement with, the times when I just wanted to go to coffee and disconnect from work, from everyone.  

I have Skittles here, of course, but it's not the same.  He is just as much all about work and never really off it like I am.  Together, we're running at full speed and we both struggle to disconnect from work and just relax.

I was told the other week that The Captain was coming here to surprise me but with my crazy work and training schedule being all over the place, to surprise me and anticipate spending time with me, well, it'd be next to impossible hence why Skittles had to tell me.  I crammed a lot of my PT clients into the first half of my week and stayed up super late to make sure I could free up time on the end of this week.  

I arrived at the airport to surprise my friend and as Skittle approached him, I snuck up behind The Captain, filming it on Facebook live.  It was so much fun and it made for such a cool start to his visit her in the Philippines.  

No comments: