As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, March 03, 2019

They're So Precious... Sunday, March 3

Yesterday was my two year anniversary here so it was pretty cool to be spending my day with my not-so-newly found crew, my rugby peeps, Lady Mavericks.  I went out for dinner last night to celebrate and then today I spent it with my Lil' Sistas of Taguig.  I love those little girls, I honestly do.  Every time I go there I envision what it'd be like to adopt one or some of them, to watch them grow up, give them ample opportunities and experiences to express themselves and reach their potential.

The other month I ran into a Filipino pro soccer player who once was an orphan.  He was living in an orphanage here in the Philippines when a family from Italy adopted him.  He has since grown up, being quite the skilled and successful soccer player, fallen in love with an A-lister beautiful woman, and lives a sweet life.  I was told that often when he's here in the Philippines, he stays at the orphanage that he once lived in before he was adopted.  I love that.  I think that's so amazing and it makes me wonder which of the Lil' Sistas that I coach could lead a life as such if given the right opportunities.  

The more and more I work with the Lil' Sistas, the more and more I question how much more I can help them.  I want to help make a success story like that become a reality.  

I won the lottery being born to two parents in Canada.  My mom had immigrated from Austria to Canada and definitely didn't have the same upbringing and support that I did and perhaps that's why my life was the way it was.  She wanted for me what she didn't have, and the same goes for my father too.  He was the youngest boy, second youngest child, of 9 kids born to two parents struggling to make ends meet.  But my Lil' Sistas, they didn't win the lottery.  They lost it and it was by no means their fault or really even their parents' fault.  It is what it is.  It is life, that's how it just is.  It doesn't mean it has to stay that way though.  You can change your luck, or as I'd like to say, your fate.  I don't believe in luck but I do believe in myself and the power I have within myself to change my fate.  I believe in my power to change the fate of the Lil' Sistas too, I just don't exactly know how to do it just yet though.  That is my struggle.  So, for now, I'll keep on coaching them in boxing, hand out free hugs and smiles, and for the time we have together, fill it up with fun, giggles and memories.

No comments: