As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, March 09, 2019

Blessed and Empowered... Saturday, March 9

Happy Women's Day.

I kicked off my Women's Day coaching two fabulously fierce female fighters who just ooze with awesome positive energy.  One I had in the early, early morning and then the second I had in the afternoon.  I was suppose to coach a third today but she had a scheduling conflict so I'll see her next week.  

The more and more I train my female fighters, the more and more I crave to introduce them to each other.  I currently coach 10 fighters and while 3 of them are actually very close friends, the others don't know each other but I have it in my head that this fighter and that fighter, etc., would be awesome friends if they met.  

The thing with my company, Empowered Clubhouse, is that it's about empowering women and building a community of empowered women.  I believe I'm empowering those I coach and I've taken it to the next step with empowering little women too, my Lil' Sistas, but I question how I am making a community of women if it's just me meeting them and not them meeting each other.

The solution, my clubhouse.

I'm on the mad lookout for a house to rent here in Taguig, preferrably the BGC/McKinley area.  Like my boxing club in Korea, I'd live in it and then run my business out of it.  

It's funny because when I think of all the things I hoped and wished would pan out but didn't, I'm totally glad that they didn't work out.  Honestly, I really mean that.  Of course at the time it was heartbreaking and so incredibly discouraging but look at just how much my company's vision and mission has evolved already.  I went from wanting to rent out this massive warehouse to wanting to make a smaller boxing club.  From that smaller boxing club to a private studio.  And now it's gone from that private studio to an exclusive, members only clubhouse.  I've lowered the quantity of members I want and have drastically upped the quality of training and attention each member gets.  

Next week, I've written it in my list of weekly goals to see at least one house.  

No comments: