As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, April 12, 2019

Change of Plans... Friday, April 12

Recently I was interviewed at the British School of Manila regarding starting a girls-only boxing after school program at their school.  I think it's an awesome idea and I think it'd be a blast but I think I'm going to have to pass.  

This change of plans came as a result of me pondering the next step for the Lil' Sistas Project and Empowered.  The Lil' Sistas Project is for underprivileged girls and currently I host the Lil' Pow Boxing Class for them as well as run the Snail Mail Program.  As for Empowered, I coach 11 fighters, commuting from BGC to Makati and around the city here.  Once the clubhouse opens, I'll be taking on new clients at the clubhouse, launching my clothing line display there and of course setting up a little shop for my Slay boxing gear line.   

I think I'm going to make my own after school program for younger girls at the Clubhouse. 

Why become a part of someone else's after school program when I have the physical space to now launch my own?!  Exactly.

I really want Empowered to have that community vibe that Hulk's had in Korea, where it was a place members came and hung out.  It was a part of their identity and who they were.  It became just as much their place as it was mine and I think the key here to building that is to launch something for the younger generation of women.  I don't know if I'd call them Lil' Sistas though, still trying to play around with some names on that, but I'm super eagerly planning it out.  

No comments: