As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, April 26, 2019

Picking My Brain... Friday, April 26

This time next week I'll be leaving boxing and heading to my home, my new home, ...a REAL home.

I've got about a million and one things to do and a million and one feelings and emotions going through my body but none of them are telling me not to do this, not to take on this new house.  I feel like at this point in the game, this point in my life, levelling up is all I have to do and it's a much needed step in my own growth as a person but also in regards to my business.  

I figure I'll break the news to my dad this week. 

"Break the news", as if I'm about to tell him bad news.  I suppose it depends on which end of the phone you'll be on because on one end it WILL be bad news.  It'll be bad news for my dad.  He doesn't like me living here and doesn't understand why I wouldn't want to live in Canada, surrounded by family.  

This is a conversation I've had on repeat for many years with him and I know I'm definitely repeating it here on my homepage so I'll stop myself here.

I live in the Philippines.

I have a full life here, minus close friends whom I haven't yet made here but have in Canada.  I'm doing what I love and I've made my passion my pay check.  I'm paying it forward with Lil' Sistas and continually am picking my brain with how more I could help them.

Side detour here... I'm thinking about launching a kind of internship with my Lil' Sistas Project.  It'd be a kind of side thing for them but a possible help with the Center of Hope's exit strategy.  At the middle of next week, I'll be living in this massive 4 floor house and it's got all these extra little rooms.  Why not offer one to a possible intern or possibly hire an intern as an assistant coach?!  

I don't have crazy money but I do have skills, drive and a huge respect for the Voice of the Free and what they're doing with the Center of Hope.  I want to do more for them though, more with them, and I think this quite possibly could be possible.  

No comments: