As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, April 14, 2019

Scratching My Head on This... Sunday, April 14

It was a battle of Lady Mavericks vs Mother Nature and her nasty, nasty, n-a-s-t-y heat today out on the rugby field today at morning practice.  For me, however, it was also a battle between the chia bowl I ate at St. Louis restaurant vs keeping it down and the struggle was very real and very rough.  At one point I felt some of it come up during the warmup pushups we did and I literally puked in my own mouth and then had to swallow it.

TMI?  Perhaps, maybe. 

Note to self, don't ever eat the chia bowl at St. Louis before rugby!!! It was just too heavy.

At training today I was recommended a particular artist, an artist to do the point wall in the Empowered Clubhouse.  She's a fellow rugby player actually and I met her awhile back when I first started. 

To date, so many people have been recommending me this artist and that artist but many are recommending the same artists.  One big problem, with being a well known artist comes a price tag that my startup company simply cannot afford.  Honestly, I don't want to pay that much even if I could because I rather put that money into more appropriate things for my clubhouse, things that I need and that my clients need.  Moreover, I'd love to find some kind of undiscovered artist and really let them go to town on the wall, have their way and really have fun with it.  I'm all for promoting whoever does the job but it'd be kind of cool if this task was given to someone who deserved a kind of break.

So far, I have a few artists I'm pondering and an assistant I'm also contemplating if I can take on.

Right now my biggest stress isn't making the clubhouse work, it's what happens if all my current fighters that I train don't want to travel there?!  It'd totally defeat the purpose of the clubhouse.  And while I know I could pick up additional clients right in Acacia Estates, my current clients occupy my weekday mornings.  They have prime time.  I don't want to lose my current clients, they're awesome and I'm ever so grateful for them, but something is going to have to give if I'm going to give this clubhouse idea of mine, this new facility, a honest chance to work.

Any suggestions??? (I'm serious here).

No comments: